SPA SPA/AAP PEDIATRIC ANESTHESIOLOGY 2019 - Winter Meeting
Instructions and Guidelines
Junior faculty are strongly encouraged to consult with a mentor prior to submitting an abstract.
Submitting an Abstract Online
The abstract submission process contains many steps. These steps should be completed in the order listed, although you can go back and edit information at any time. The steps do not have to be completed in one session.
- Abstract Info (title, presentation style, topic area, and keywords)
- Author Info
- Author Info II
- Disclosure Statement (online form)
- Abstract Body
- Preview Abstract
- Submit Abstract
Once an abstract is submitted, information cannot be edited.
The Body of the Abstract
The body of the abstract will be typed or pasted onto the online form. References should be included at the end of the abstract body.
Character Limit: 3300 (Additional files count as 300 characters)
Abstract Preparation and Submission:
Goal: To present a concise yet complete description of the study question, methodology and results. Abstract structure should have 5 or 6 sections for clarity:
- Introduction and study question/aims/hypothesis- This should be clearly stated (may be divided into 2 sections if preferred)
- Methods - How was this performed? What was the study design? What was the study population? What were the primary and secondary outcome variables? How was data analyzed?
- Results - If table or figure is present, it is not necessary to restate the numbers- point out the big picture only.
- Discussion - What do the results mean? Why are they important? Does the data support or refute the stated hypothesis?
- Conclusions - One sentence will suffice
Text: Please write in real English - avoid jargon, and use complete sentences and proper grammar. Use paragraph divisions for the sections - one long run-on paragraph is difficult to read.
Data: This is best presented, or augmented, by the inclusion of a table or figure. Ensure data is legible.
- Lack of data: Submission of abstracts without data is not encouraged and is likely to be scored very low. It is not acceptable to submit an abstract describing the research plan. The best chance of acceptance is granted only to submissions which include data and results.
Conclusions: Be cautious and reasonable, avoid the trap of the statement .safe and efficacious. when the study is not powered to make that statement. Similarly, a zero numerator demands the calculation of confidence intervals and great caution in interpretation.
Case Report or Case series:
Novel case reports with a discussion and lessons learned have higher chances of acceptance.
Citations and references: Not more than 3-5 references are necessary. Cite previous work if applicable and also cite assertions about facts that may not be commonly accepted.
Prior to submission: Proof read abstract and have an experienced colleague/mentor proof read and critique the abstract. This will improve the quality of the abstract and increase chances of acceptance.
Images and Additional Files
If you are submitting supplemental graphic files with your abstract, please convert them to jpeg format at a width no greater than 600 pixels. This includes:
- Anything other than the text content of your abstract
Please note that supplemental files in formats other than jpeg will not be accepted.